X-ray Powder Diffractometer
The Faber group operates an X-ray powder diffractometer, a PANalytical X'Pert Pro located in Steele 339, with a wide range of capabilities. As a service to the Caltech community, we generally provide access to this instrument. Users should kindly recognize their access of this equipment as a privilege and not a right.
Some features and capabilities of the instrument are as follows:
- Rapid data acquisition requiring about 10 minutes for a routine scan.
- Enclosed high temperature stage for measurements up to 1200C under controlled atmosphere.
- Capillary sample holder for air-sensitive materials (room temperature evaluation only).
- Extensive software for data analysis including search-match and Rietveld refinement.
- Thin film optics have been transferred to the Atwater laboratory.
Access and Usage Policies:
- All users must undergo X-ray saftey training through Caltech's Safey Office and also be trained by the XRD lab manager regarding proper instrument operating procedures.
- A training session (60-90 minutes) is offered on an as-needed basis. Send a message to the XRD lab manager at xrpd@caltechedu to make arrangements. The focus of this training is on the operation of the instrument. This training is not meant to teach students about the principles of X-ray powder diffraction - software for data analysis is available to users; however, data analysis is not part of the training session. Those unfamiliar with data analysis procedures but in need of performing such analysis are encouraged to enroll in MS 142.
- The training confirmation form can be downloaded here. Please note that a default PTA (charge account) is required in order for researchers to become qualified users.
- Instrument fees are as follows
Item On-Campus Rate** Training $30 (one-time) Standard operation $15/hr Capillary $30/hr High temperature stage $100 first hr + $25/hr thereafter Operator assistance* additional $15/hr to rates listed above
- The on-line reservation system can be accessed here.
- *operator assistance is provided at the operator's discretion and may not be available.
- ** Off-campus rates (including JPL) are double the on-campus rates and users should note all expeditures are charged additional overhead. Off-campus access is provided at the operator's discretion and may not be possible.